NOTE: BY POPULAR DEMAND, OUR OPC COURSE IS CURRENTLY BEING CONVERTED TO A HYBRID FORMAT.
JOF's newly re-designed Orthopedic Primary Care (OPC) 2.0 course covers the same core curriculum in a more user-friendly format, requiring less travel while providing more hands-on practice. With didactic content available online, students can read required texts, view video presentations, and submit assignments at their own pace in preparation for onsite intensive workshops focusing exclusively on mastering clinical skills.
OPC Musculoskeletal Fundamentals for Primary Care Providers:
- Prepares clinicians to diagnose and manage common orthopedic conditions in primary care settings.
- Emphasizes evidence-based, non-surgical approaches to managing pain, maximizing function, preventing injury, and slowing disease progression.
- Comprises 4 Courses: Upper Extremity, Lower Extremity, Spine, and Special Skills--each with its associated weekend hands-on workshop.
- Each Course consists of approximately 30 to 40 hours of online learning and 12 to 16 hours of hands-on practice.
- Workshops for each Course focus on learning functional anatomy, practicing physical exam techniques, interpreting X-rays, and developing treatment strategies
- The Special Skills Course covers casting and splinting, MSK injections, proper use of assistive devices, and prescribing restorative exercise
- Courses may be taken in any order. If all four are completed within 18 months, the price of the final module is discounted 50%.
- The OPC curriculum was approved in 2015 by Samuel Merritt University School of Nursing.
- JOF is a California BRN-approved Continuing Education Provider.
- CEU certificates are provided at the completion of each Course (online assignments and weekend workshop.)
- Upon completion of all four modules, students receive a Certificate of Completion of JOF's Orthopedic Primary Care Program.
Enrollment Open to:
- Nurse Practitioners
- Currently enrolled NP and DNP Students
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Physician Assistants*
- Primary Care Physicians*
* Continuing medical education provider status pending.
or... Read more FAQs about the OPC course
For even more information on the fundamental issues this course is designed to address, please see the article published by two of Jackson Orthopedic Foundation's principals in the September 2014 issue of The Journal for Nurse Practitioners---linked below in PDF format.